6 min read
March 16, 2022
Whether you’re a small business or enterprise-level company, website leads can make all the difference. Website lead generation is the process of attracting and capturing leads for potential customers through your website. It's a necessary task for any business looking to grow, and there are a variety of lead generation methods you can use.
In this article, we'll cover the most effective methods for attracting and capturing leads, some of the most popular lead generation tools, as well as website lead generation best practices. Generating website leads is essential to keep your business afloat, so let's get started!
What are website leads?
Website leads are potential customers that you acquire through your website. Lead generation is part of your customer acquisition process.
Once a website visitor has shown interest in your business and provided you with some or all of their contact details, they are considered a lead. They are then regarded as a captured lead. You probably want to qualify them before initially engaging with them. Then you nurture them through your marketing funnel with the prospect of converting them into a paying customer.
So basically, a lead is a consumer in the process of transitioning from a visitor to a customer. Stating the obvious here but it’s important to note: It’s easier to convert a stranger into a paying customer if they showed organic interest and initiated the first contact.
How can I generate website leads?
How the process usually works is that a stranger shows interest in your product or service. They discover your business through your online content. They respond to your call-to-action (CTA) and click on a message or button that takes them to the landing page. On the landing page they provide their details in return for an offer (e.g. signing up for a course, news letter or ebook). Once you have their details, you have successfully captured the lead.
(Image: Attract through content > CTA > Landing page > Offer > Captured)
There are a variety of ways to generate website leads. The most common methods are through organic search, or social media, email marketing, and blog posts and other content which have led them to your website or landing page. You can also generate website leads by using paid advertising, such as Google AdWords, or social media ads.
Website lead generation tactics
Now that we know what website leads are, let's take a look at some specific website lead generation strategies.
Creating compelling content
Your website's content is one of the most important factors for generating website leads. When you create content that is compelling and relevant to your target audience, you'll see an increase in website leads.
Adding lead capture forms
Lead capture forms are another essential part of generating website leads. Make sure your forms are easy to fill out and only ask for the information you need. Place them on your website's homepage, blog posts, and other high-traffic pages.
Offering free downloads
Another great way to generate website leads is by offering free downloads. This could be an ebook, whitepaper, or another type of valuable content. Once visitors download your content, you can capture their contact details and add them to your lead database.
Pop-ups are a controversial topic, but they can be an effective way to generate website leads. When used correctly, pop-ups can capture the attention of website visitors and encourage them to provide their contact details. Just make sure they're not too intrusive or annoying.
Running a contest
Contests are a great way to generate website leads and can be a lot of fun for your audience. When you run a contest, make sure to include a lead capture form to collect the contact information of contest participants.
Use the right lead generation tools
Finally, make sure you're using the right lead generation tools to capture and nurture your website leads. There are a number of great tools out there, so find one that fits your needs. More on lead generation tools below.
Website lead generation tools
There are a variety of lead generation tools that you can use to attract and capture leads. Here are a few of the most popular tools:
Inbound lead generation tools: You can use these tools to get leads to your website. Inbound lead generation tools include search engine optimization (SEO), social media, and email marketing.
- Outbound lead generation tools: Allows you to find and message leads via email, calls, social media, etc. Outbound lead generation tools include lead lists. Lead lists are directories your sales team can utilize to conduct cold calls from.
- On-page lead generation tools: These tools help you capture leads via your website (lead capture forms). On-page lead generation tools include pop-ups, lead magnets, and lead capture forms. Lead magnets are freebies you offer in exchange for contact details.
Website visitor identification tools: This method allows you to identify website visitors by using cookies or tracking pixels to track website visitors and collect their contact information.
- Email lookup tools: Email lookup is another method for capturing website leads. You can use email tracking services to track website visitors and collect their contact information.
- Marketing management tools: Marketing management tools allow you to manage and track your leads. They enable you to measure and improve your lead generation campaigns. Marketing management tools include CRM software, marketing automation software, and lead scoring software.
- Search marketing tools: These tools help you gain website traffic from organic and paid searches. They also show your site's traffic and performance. That way you can improve your search result position.
Advertising tools: They let you gain website traffic from social media and paid online ads.
Generating website leads can be a daunting task, but it's essential for growing your business. When you use the right tactics and tools, you'll see an increase in website leads. You can read more about lead generation tools here.
Website lead generation best practices
Implementing the following best practices can help you increase your website leads:
- Define your goals - Define what a lead is to you. What are the lead quality criteria you're looking for? Then decide what your business goals are in terms of generating leads.
- Target the right people - Define your target audience. Creating a buyer persona can help you do this. Then focus your lead generation efforts to the right people by using lead filters.
- Offer lead incentives - Offer lead magnets like freebies, discounts, or other types of lead incentives to encourage website visitors to provide their contact information. Make sure your incentives are unique and compelling.
- Optimize SEO - Make sure your website is SEO friendly to increase your website's visibility in search engine results pages (SERPs).
- Create lead-generating content - Produce valuable content that captures the attention of your audience and encourages them to provide their contact details.
- Test and measure - Use A/B testing to see which lead generation tactics are working best for you and continue to optimize them. Also, measure the success of your lead generation campaigns so you can improve them.
- Be flexible - Trial and error is your best approach here. Adapt as you go and be willing to try new things. Being too set in stone will trip you up.
For more on lead generation best practices, read our article here.
What do you do once you've generated leads?
The next step is to capture the leads you've generated. Lead capture is the process of collecting information from website visitors in order to convert them into customers. Capturing website leads is a critical part of any lead generation strategy. You need to have a way to collect contact information and track the progress of leads through your sales funnel.
There are a variety of methods you can use to capture website leads, including:
- Landing pages: They allow you to collect information from website visitors in exchange for a free offer or download.
- Forms: Forms are one of the most common methods for capturing website leads. You can use forms to gather information from website visitors, such as their name, email address, and phone number.
- Chatbots: Chatbots are a great way to capture website leads. They allow you to interact with website visitors in real-time and collect their contact information.
- Scheduling: You can also capture leads by scheduling appointments with potential customers. They need to enter their details before they're able to schedule with you.
So, what are you waiting for? Start using website lead generation tactics to increase your website leads. Don't forget to implement lead generation tools and best practices to get the most out of your lead generation process. Lastly, track your results so you can continue improving your lead generation strategy!
Learn more about what we do at OnceHub here.